Thanks to so many of you who have written, called, and/or been praying about Mary’s diagnosis of aortic valve stenosis since January. It means a great deal.
Mary’s latest echocardiogram on April 3 showed that her condition has now worsened and is considered severe, making her a candidate for surgery. Nevertheless, her cardiologist believes that at this point the actual decision to proceed with open heart surgery should be symptom-driven, and to date Mary remains totally asymptomatic. No shortness of breath, chest pains, or dizziness.
So unless or until she begins experiencing such symptoms, we will remain in a sort of holding pattern for at least another month. We are scheduled to meet with Dr. Crespo on May 3 for further consultation. Her next echocardiogram is set for early June.
Meanwhile, we are grateful for each good today together and are thankful to God for a little extra time to arrange for this major event. The home care system is complex and it has been frustratingly difficult to get a comprehensive plan in place for my own care when this event unfolds.
On a positive note, John Wyatt Witmer (our youngest grandson, now nearly four years of age, who was born with HLHS, a serious congenital heart condition) just had his most recent examination at the UVA hospital in Charlottesville VA this past week — and the decision was made to postpone his next heart surgery until 2019!
Mary and I are now two weeks into our four-month sabbatical and are already appreciating what changes in the routine have been possible. Thanks for your prayers about that, as well — especially that the sabbatical not be compromised by distractions.
We’re much anticipating a visit with our son Andrew and his family when they arrive in early August from Harrisonburg VA.
Our son Stephen has recently contracted with InterVarsity to author a book on the importance of serving in small-town churches, part of a larger movement which he is now spearheading and that includes Small Town Summit seminars throughout New England. See more at: https://www.smalltownsummits.com
And our youngest son Tim will be putting his Maine Guide license to good use when he co-leads a major wilderness trip on the Gaspé Peninsula later this Spring.
For now, thanks again for your ongoing interest and support of our lives and work.
NOTE: See the entire Witmer family by clicking on the thumbnail photo at:
Mary and Daryl, I’m sorry to hear the condition is worse, and of the ridiculous insurance thing of WAITING for more symptoms to occur! Will be praying for you. Would offer more practical help (beside donating), except that I’m spending more time with mom now. She’s failing —though very slowly it seems. Can’t eat solids because of choking. Trying to be there each day to help with getting her to down some nutritious drinks by straw, which she’s been able to do some. I feel for the challenges you both face this summer. You are certainly not forgotten by those on your “outer circle” of friends and followers. the Lord bless you! Carole