There’s lots to do in the area while visiting the AIIA Institute on the shores of beautiful three-mile-long Lake Hebron here in north central Maine. Here are a few ideas:
• Kayak on Lake Hebron. AIIA owns three kayaks with flotation devices.
• Fish on Lake Hebron (Bring your own tackle, or AIIA owns a few rods. Fishing licenses can be purchased in town.)
• Go on a moose safari. Moose are regularly spotted within a 15 mile radius of Monson.
• Climb nearby Borestone Mountain.
• Hike a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. (Easy access to the AT from Monson).
• Visit the Monson Museum; see Town web site for summer hours.
• Worship at the Monson Community Church on Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM.
• Visit the Indian Store on the south shore of Moosehead Lake in Greenville, Maine (15 miles north of Monson).
• Visit the Indian Hill Gifts and Sporting Goods store in Greenville. (Lots of souvenirs, gifts, and sporting goods).
• View the latest art exhibit at the Monson Arts Gallery, just one block from the Study Center.
• Eat at the Monson General Store, Spring Creek Bar-B-Q, or The Pub — all right in downtown Monson.
• Snowmobile in the Winter. Easy local access to the International Trail System (ITS).
CLICK HERE for FOOD & LODGING options in the greater Monson area.